Monday 20 April 2009

Historical Bazaar at Wimpole

A Cambridge Camera Club trip to Wimpole Hall on Saturday proved to be a highly enjoyable affair. Not only did we get lots of Spring sunshine, but there was a "Historical Bazaar" selling the paraphernalia needed for all types of historical re-enactments. Probably the most astonishing stall was a Polish couple selling suits of armour - not for decoration, but for jousting! Each suit takes two people a month to make, so it's definitely a labour of love. There was a suit of armour there which was complete apart from its arms and legs - apparently someone had just bought those! I tried the helmet - all 4.5kg of it - which was a rather strange experience. As well as being hot and claustrophobic, the visibility was rubbish; also, acoustically it was like being in an echo-chamber! The whole suit would have been 60kg+, apparently, which is like carrying an extra person around...



2 comments:

  1. Love the 1st image, but probably I would try b/w - well, you know me :)

    I also like the angle with which you captured the suit of armour - its like a smiling face!

    Have you fulfilled all the 5 or 6 categories ? I got stuck at the Bazzar, hehe. If you haven't seen already, some of my bazzar pix are here.

    Enjoy. Have a great week!
    All the best,
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Markus - long time no see! You're probably right that the "historical" images would look better in black and white. I'll have a play at some point and see whether this is true! As for my 6 categories, I've certainly got 4; 5 is reasonable; but 6 is distinctly dodgy. Hopefully other people will also have been distracted by the bazaar...

    ReplyDelete