Saturday 17 July 2010

Salford Quays and The Lowry Centre

Exactly like the last time I visited, the Manchester weather closed in as soon as we'd reached Salford Quays.  Typical.  This didn't worry Izzi, however, as her prime interest was a retail experience in the Outlet Mall rather than admiring the architecture.  Again, typical!  No problem, as this gave me an hour or so to wander round taking pictures.


I was determined to go into the Lowry Centre as I'd heard the interior was well worth a look.  The exterior wasn't bad either...


I never got to the Lowry exhibition itself as I was overwhelmed by the foyer and theatre.  The whole place is made up of either polished steel or solid blocks of vivid colour: primarily red and orange, but also yellow, blue and purple.  It was one of those places where the main question is "where do I start?".  Well, the following selection of pictures is in no particular order, but I hope will give some flavour of the place.








As you can probably tell, I was totally bowled over by the place.  It was pleasantly empty too, which is more than could be said for the Outlet Mall...

2 comments:

  1. I wondered if the orange and purple colours were still there - we went a few years ago and loved the place. However, the thing I remeber most was the sad film about Lowry and his unrequited love for his mother who never liked his work and spent the last many years of her life in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place for graphic colour - I would love to have the opportunity to take pictures there!

    ReplyDelete